Mathematical Logic

New to BdMO Online forum? Introduce yourself, and say hello to your friends!!!

Moderator:kamrul2010

w_kneberg1
Mathematical Logic

Unread post by w_kneberg1 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 am

I don't understand mathematical logic. I don't know the difference between a theorum, corallary, etc. I am interested in getting a degree in physics some day, but I am not sure of exactly how logic fits it with it.
My educated guess is that you have logic that tells the equations to calculate out the exact data that either verifies or invalidates (with mathematical data) the logical basis that was tried out. If any body can clarify that I would appreciate it, it would give me a lot better understanding of how theory and experiment work together in physics, and probably some understanding that I am not sure of beyond what is asked.

A friend of mine told me a little bit about computer logic (Booleen Algebra...not so sure as of how to write Booleen). Where if a calculation results in a certain value, then there is a rule that says the if the number is greater than or less then a certain numerical value, then it is true or false for the rule, then true (#1) and false (#0) is selected and it does something further. Not completely sure...
What I have just said about the Booleen algebra sounds very uneducated and probably wrong in a lot of what it is saying, but this is just from sitting down with a friend who has a degree in computer science showing me very basic information abbut it (and I kind of knew nothing about it besides the fact that booleen algebra works in making decisions with selecting true or false or something). Yet again, I would like to get a better understanding as to how this works, right now it's just a vauge topic at this point.

Andy Charles

Re: Mathematical Logic

Unread post by Andy Charles » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello there

Thanks for sharing your valuable suggestion, if you want to give really a good surprise,You are missing the fact that formulas can be built up from propositional formulas by inducting on steps 2 and 3. This is the usual way of doing proofs on wffs: prove that your conclusion holds for some seed values then prove that any wffs you build from those will retain your conclusion.

Thanks
Andy Charles
Online expert help for understanding the fundamentals ofalgebra. Clarify concepts with free online algebra videos.

w_kneberg1

Re: Mathematical Logic

Unread post by w_kneberg1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 am

I appreciate your reply,
However, I need just a little more help trying to get an understanding of what you mean. The main thing that is probably throwing me for a loop is that I am not familiar with the vocabulary (I know that formulas are equations right...I mean are they regular equations of are they functions, or does that matter). What is a propositional formula? I assume that it is an equation that you pull out of thin air like a premise or basic rule that things work off of in a logical deductive way, but I need an example. You have said that inducting is used in steps 2 and 3, what does that mean? What are wffs and what are seed values? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I find the best way to learn is to ask questions.
If you could help me further (may be give me an example or two) and help me understand the vocabulary. I'd like to figure this out and I'd be more than happy to hear back from you.

Sincerely,
William Jack
P.S. I'm new to using forums, etc, can you give me some advice on how to conduct myself best...like about asking to many questions, I'm afraid people will be annoyed with that and will just ignore me or be rude to me.