BOMC-2012 Test Day 2

Discussion on Bangladesh National Math Camp
nayel
BOMC-2012 Test Day 2

Unread post by nayel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:00 am

Problem 1:
$a_0,a_1,\ldots$ and $b_0,b_1,\ldots$ are arithmetic progressions of integers such that $a_1-a_0$ and $b_1-b_0$ share no common factor greater than $1$. Prove that for any integer $n$ there exist $i,j$ such that $a_i-b_j=n$.

Problem 2:
Find all finite sets $S$ of nonnegative integers with the property that for any $m,n\in S$ we have $|m-n+1|\in S$.

Problem 3:
Find all ordered pairs $(n,m)$ of positive integers $\ge 3$ such that a regular $n$-gon can be partitioned into some congruent regular $m$-gons.

৭ এপ্রিল দুপুর ১২ টার মধ্যে প্রাইভেট মেসেজ আকারে উত্তর সামিন রিয়াসাতকে পাঠাতে হবে। সেখানে অবশ্যই সকল সমীকরণ LaTeX ব্যবহার করে লিখতে হবে। পোস্ট করে উত্তর পাঠাতে চাইলে সেটা অবশ্যই ৭ এপ্রিলের মধ্যে পোস্ট করতে হবে। পোস্ট করার ঠিকানা-

অভীক রায়
২৬ পাতলাখান লেন, লক্ষ্মীবাজার, ঢাকা-১১০০

সকল ক্ষেত্রেই প্রশ্নের পূর্ণাঙ্গ সমাধান লিখে পাঠাতে হবে। সমাধানের সাথে অংশগ্রহণকারীর পুরো নাম, শিক্ষা প্রতিষ্ঠান, শ্রেণী, মোবাইল নম্বর, ফোরাম নিক এবং একটি এক্টিভ ইমেল এড্রেস দিতে হবে।

Solutions should be PMed to me by 12 PM on 7 April. All mathematical notation must be written using LaTeX. To send solutions by mail it must be posted by the 7th of April. The mailing address is-

Avik Roy
26 Patlakhan Lane, Lakshmibazar, Dhaka-1100

All solutions must be completely detailed. The full name, institution, class, mobile number, forum username and an active email address of the participant must be included with the solution.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

nayel

Re: BOMC-2012 Test Day 2

Unread post by nayel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 am

You cannot discuss these problems with anyone for 48 hours. You cannot look for solution in any book or the internet. If somehow you already know the solution (i.e. have read or done it before) then you must clearly state that with your solution (you still have to write the solution by yourself, without looking at any book or the internet). If you are taking part in the camp then you cannot post in this forum or any other forum for 48 hours.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

Sazid Akhter Turzo

Unread post by Sazid Akhter Turzo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:55 am

@Nayel vaia, একটা জিনিস বুঝি নাই। $P_3$ তে $partitioning$ বলতে কী বুঝানো হয়েছে? এখানে কি $m-gon$গুলোর $vertex$ হিসেবে এমন কোন বিন্দু নেয়া যাবে যেটা ঐ $n-gon$টার $vertex$ না???
Turzo

Nadim Ul Abrar

Unread post by Nadim Ul Abrar » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 am

আমার আরও একটা প্রশ্ন আছে ।
p1 টা কি আমাদের সকল A.P $a_0,a_1....$ & $b_0,b_1....$ এর জন্য প্রমাণ করতে হবে ??
$\frac{1}{0}$

zadid xcalibured

Unread post by zadid xcalibured » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 am

@nayel vai...in prob 1:can the sequences contain negative terms?

Sazid Akhter Turzo

Unread post by Sazid Akhter Turzo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:35 am

Vaia, I've another question. In $P_2$, must $m$ and $n$ be different elements of $S$?
Turzo

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:39 am

zadid xcalibured wrote:@nayel vai...in prob 1:can the sequences contain negative terms?
Yes,I also need to know this.And for last one,is Turjo correct? :?: And in $P_{1}$,can the factor be negative? :?:
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

sourav das

Unread post by sourav das » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:58 am

I'm also confused with the fact $Partition$. Is it possible to give an example of such partition?
You spin my head right round right round,
When you go down, when you go down down......
(-$from$ "$THE$ $UGLY$ $TRUTH$" )

Tahmid Hasan

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 am

Sourav vaiya,we're not supposed to disscuss about problems here,but i think there was a similar problem in BdMO-2010.(just a special case which asked for numbers of polygon not partition)
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

sourav das

Unread post by sourav das » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:19 am

Tahmid Hasan wrote:Sourav vaiya,we're not supposed to disscuss about problems here,but i think there was a similar problem in BdMO-2010.(just a special case which asked for numbers of polygon not partition)
I think you're wrong.Because the question doesn't specify anything using vertex or not. That's why I'm confused and I'm not discussing about any problem. I'm confused that's why i need a clarification. And I'll also request others not to compare or discuss about the problem, but we can ask question if we don't understand the question properly.
You spin my head right round right round,
When you go down, when you go down down......
(-$from$ "$THE$ $UGLY$ $TRUTH$" )