Medians and Side Lengths

For discussing Olympiad level Geometry Problems
Tahmid
Medians and Side Lengths

Unread post by Tahmid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:53 pm

pls give me the solution of this problem:
Find the ratio of the area of a given tringle to that of a tringle whose sides have the same lengths as the medians of the original triangle.

SANZEED

Re: Medians and Side Lengths

Unread post by SANZEED » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Tahmid wrote:pls give me the solution of this problem:
Find the ratio of the area of a given tringle to that of a tringle whose sides have the same lengths as the medians of the original triangle.
Let $ABC$ be the triangle and let $AD,BE,CF$ be its medians.Extend $FE$ to $M$ such that $FE=EM$.Join $A,M;C,M;D,M$.You can easily prove that $AMCF,BEMD,EMCD$ are parallelograms. Then $ADM$ is the triangle with side lengths equal to the medians. Now let $DM$ intersect $EC$ at $N$. Since $EMCD$ is a parallelogram, $N$ is the midpoint of $DM$ and $EC$. Thus $\frac {(ABC)}{(ADM)}=\frac {\frac{1}{2}(ABC)}{\frac{1}{2}(ADM)}$
$=\frac {(ADC)}{(ADN)}=\frac{AC}{AN}=\frac{4}{3}$
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

Phlembac Adib Hasan

Re: Medians and Side Lengths

Unread post by Phlembac Adib Hasan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 am

Tahmid wrote:pls give me the solution of this problem:
ছেলে, তোমার না Geometry Revisited শেষ করার কথা ছিল, করেছ? মনে তো হয় না। কারণ করলে এটা জিজ্ঞেস করার কথা না। Revisited-এর শেষে উপরের proof-টা দেয়া আছে।
Welcome to BdMO Online Forum. Check out Forum Guides & Rules