Distribute the balls

For discussing Olympiad Level Combinatorics problems
tanmoy
Distribute the balls

Unread post by tanmoy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Find the number of distributions of five red balls and five blue balls into three distinct boxes,with no empty boxes.
"Questions we can't answer are far better than answers we can't question"

Fm Jakaria

Re: Distribute the balls

Unread post by Fm Jakaria » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 am

We denote by $S(n)$ to be the number of ways $5$ balls of same colour can be kept in $n$ boxes, with possibly some boxes empty. Now note that $S(n)^2$ is the number of ways five red and five blue balls can be kept in $n$ boxes in this way; considering disjoint events. So our desired result is $S(3)^2-(^3C_1)S(2)^2+(^3C_2)S(1)^2$, considering cases where at least $0,1$ boxes are empty, and considering overcouting arising from exacly two empty boxes; while deciding which boxes are empty. And computing S(n) is the same as counting ordered n-tuple of nonngegative integers $a_i$ that sum to $5$; and its exacly same as number of ways putting $n-1$ equivalent plus signs between and edges of n dots, where multiple pluses are allowed in a place. Considering cases of all multiplicity of pluses:
$S(3) = ^6C_2+^6C_1$, $S(2) = ^6C_1$, $S(1) = 1$.
You cannot say if I fail to recite-
the umpteenth digit of PI,
Whether I'll live - or
whether I may, drown in tub and die.

tanmoy

Re: Distribute the balls

Unread post by tanmoy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:24 pm

Fm Jakaria wrote:We denote by $S(n)$ to be the number of ways $5$ balls of same colour can be kept in $n$ boxes, with possibly some boxes empty. Now note that $S(n)^2$ is the number of ways five red and five blue balls can be kept in $n$ boxes in this way; considering disjoint events. So our desired result is $S(3)^2-(^3C_1)S(2)^2+(^3C_2)S(1)^2$, considering cases where at least $0,1$ boxes are empty, and considering overcouting arising from exacly two empty boxes; while deciding which boxes are empty. And computing S(n) is the same as counting ordered n-tuple of nonngegative integers $a_i$ that sum to $5$; and its exacly same as number of ways putting $n-1$ equivalent plus signs between and edges of n dots, where multiple pluses are allowed in a place. Considering cases of all multiplicity of pluses:
$S(3) = ^6C_2+^6C_1$, $S(2) = ^6C_1$, $S(1) = 1$.
Nice solution.Thank you :D
"Questions we can't answer are far better than answers we can't question"