Digit-swapping game (own)

For discussing Olympiad Level Combinatorics problems
nayel
Digit-swapping game (own)

Unread post by nayel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:34 pm

You and I are playing the following weird game: you start by swapping two random digits of the number 9876543210, then I swap two random digits of the new number, and we keep doing this alternatingly. Both of us are blindfolded so none of us knows what moves the other is playing. The first one to get 0123456789 wins. Can you ever win? When do I win?
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

Mohaimin

Re: Digit-swapping game (own)

Unread post by Mohaimin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:54 am

The problem seems interesting. But I need a clarification. I dont know what move you have played, doesn't it imply that I dont know what moves I played before? So, we forget all the moves and work only with the current state of the number.

nayel

Unread post by nayel » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Err... I think you're right. But the problem is just asking if you can ever win, and to find the possible cases in which I win. Just assume that the moves are totally random and suppose that there is a referee who watches the game unless someone wins, who then stops the game and announces the winner.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

Mohaimin

Unread post by Mohaimin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:16 am

I am still confused. Does RANDOM mean NO STRATEGY? I mean neither knows no winning strategy?

nayel

Unread post by nayel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:13 pm

I think no more explanation is needed, my first post explains everything you need to know. If that's not enough for you, the second post does the rest.

Corei13

Unread post by Corei13 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:29 pm

This can be generalized for all natural number $n$.
Let, for any permutation $(a_1,a_2,\cdots,a_n)$ of $(0,2,\cdots, n-1)$,
$f_n(a_1,a_2,\cdots,a_n) = \sum_{n > i \ge 0} {\left|\{\ j \ |\ j<i, a_j < a_i\ \}\right|}$
Then, it can be ( not so maybe ) easily verified that,
$f_n(\cdots,a_{i-1},a_i,a_{i+1},\cdots,a_{j-1},a_j,a_{j+1},\cdots) - f(\cdots,a_{j-1},a_j,a_{j+1},\cdots,a_{i-1},a_i,a_{i+1},\cdots) \equiv 1 \text{ mod } 2$

So, winning this game is only depends on whether $f(n-1,\cdots,0)=\frac{n(n-1)}{2}$ is odd or even
ধনঞ্জয় বিশ্বাস