Any Linux user?

Discuss Computer Science and Programming related problems

Moderators:Labib, bristy1588

mubtasim123
Any Linux user?

Unread post by mubtasim123 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:18 am

I recently using linux (ubuntu10.10) because of my vista crash. I am not a programmer not a beginner I have no idea about programming open source. Can anyone advice me what is the best programming software for open source like linux and where can I find em' I think this free operating system gonna be very popular than windows in a very short time. ;)
So any advice will be helpful because i have no idea where to start :cry:
Blah blah blah blah -----blah blah blah

Moon
Site Admin

Re: Any Linux user?

Unread post by Moon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:36 am

According to google analytic data $\sim 15\text{%}$ user of this site uses Linux. :)
BTW about programming some other people of this forum will be able to answer you better.
"Inspiration is needed in geometry, just as much as in poetry." -- Aleksandr Pushkin

Please install LaTeX fonts in your PC for better looking equations,
learn how to write equations, and don't forget to read Forum Guide and Rules.

Annihilator

Unread post by Annihilator » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 am

You should participate in google code -in happening now.This is a long term competition for the kids ( not registered under any university) who want to work for open souce companies/programming but don't know where to start. If you complete only one project then you would get a t-shirt from google worth of $24 and a certificate. If you complete three, then you wud get $100 as well.

http://code.google.com/opensource/gci/2 ... index.html

To compete, you need nothing but a working gmail id.
The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether submarines can swim. ~ Edsger W. Dijkstra

tushar7

Unread post by tushar7 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:56 pm

i am also ubuntu user :mrgreen:

tanvirab

Unread post by tanvirab » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 pm

I a not sure what you mean by programming open source? Do you mean creating a open source program?

rakeen

Unread post by rakeen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:48 pm

@Annihilator I think he was saying that he doesn't know programming, and he wan't to know where to start from.
r@k€€/|/

Mohaimin

Unread post by Mohaimin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:31 pm

What did you use in Windows? There is a big possibility that thats also available in Ubuntu.
If you did not use anything, then what language are you trying? If C/C++, I think codeblocks should work.

Annihilator

Unread post by Annihilator » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 pm

@Rakeen, that's what GCI would do for him.

They provide a list of tasks, to complete them, they would give enough resource to learn.
Suppose, we use VLC media player in ubuntu. They would provide which stuffs should be known to work on this player.

If you really work under open source companies or softwares, then GCI is going to help you a lot. Participating there, you might be able to choose your path and decide which path is for you.

Php, perl, ruby all are open source programming languages.

You may also have a look at this:

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/155203
The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether submarines can swim. ~ Edsger W. Dijkstra

mubtasim123

Unread post by mubtasim123 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 am

:geek: Yes, I do know few basics of c/c++ but I have no idea what does it look like to program opensource code. And open source code sounds more interesting than windows (to me :D ). I want to learn programming open source. And thanks for the information @Annihilator. That gonna be helpful. 8-) :geek:
Blah blah blah blah -----blah blah blah

tanvirab

Unread post by tanvirab » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:46 am

প্রোগ্রাম কোডের সাথে ওপেন সোর্সের কোনো সম্পর্ক নাই। উইন্ডোজে যেইভাবে প্রোগ্রাম লেখতে হয় লিনাক্সে একইভাবে লেখতে হয়। পার্থক্যটা হইল ওপেন সোর্স প্রোগ্রামের কোডটা ব্যবহারকারীরা দেখতে পারে। উইন্ডোজের প্রোগ্রামগুলার কোড ব্যবহারকারীরা দেখতে পারে না। কিন্তু কোড একই।