BDMO Forum Mafia #2

Let's have some fun! If you love to discuss random topics, this is your place!
Zawadx
BDMO Forum Mafia #2

Unread post by Zawadx » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 pm

BDMO Forum Mafia #2 - Revenge of the Bashers

Once upon a time, the innocent people of BDMO Forum did geometry using only synthetic techniques. Yes, sometimes they'd do some dushtu stuff and add in a page of trig or long-winded length chasing, but it was harmless fun. The great priests of the land, those blessed with the gift of projective, maintained law and order throughout the land. The children diligently carried out their angle chasing, hoping to one day match the power of one of the Legends of AoPS.

But within this prosperity the seed of something horrible was growing. Then, one day it all broke loose. Complex numbers and barycentric coordinates reigned in the once hallowed sanctuaries of Geometry, and rumors where heard of Cartesian monsters lurking in the villages. The people of the forum realized that this was the work of one of them, and thus began the most important mission in the lifetime of the forum: the hunt for the bashers.

Guide to mafia:
Mafia is generally played between two teams: Civilians and Mafia. The civilians are the main group, and they enjoy the advantage of being a majority. Every day, the civilians post in the thread to discuss who is likely to be mafia, and place a vote on who they think is being scummy (a.k.a. mafia-like or anti-civilian). One thing to note is that your Voting Total signifies the total of votes placed on you, and Voting Power stands for how many votes you actually place on someone when you vote on them (everyone has a standard Voting Power of 1). At the end of the day the host tallies up all the votes and considers all skills affecting the voting; the person with the most votes on them is killed (termed as lynching), and all their info is revealed. Then Night falls...

That's when the mafia come in. The Mafia are a minority of players who know each other's identity. Their job is to eliminate all the other players using deception and nightkills. They interact with the town during the day, trying to mislead them away from lynching any mafia members. And when night falls, Mafia discusses in secret and chooses a person to kill (termed as nightkill). Also during the night the civilians use their roles. The two most noteworthy roles that are usually included in some form are the cop, who investigates other players to find their allegiance, and the medic, who can protect a specific player from any nightkills for that night.

The Civilians win when whenever they manage to eliminate all the Mafia members. And Mafia wins when their combined Voting Power is enough to control the vote entirely, i.e. if all Mafia members vote on the same Civilian and all Civilians vote on a Mafia ember, the civilian will be lynched.

For more info, read this guide from mafiascum wiki: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... e_to_Mafia
General Mafia Rules: (These are to prevent abuse on the player's part. Just try to play fair and you won't have to be distracted by these rules)
1. Do not post, chat, OR PM ANY revealing information if you have been killed/removed from this mafia. You are allowed one death post that contains no information or commentary about the players.
2. You are not allowed to edit or remove your post. Instead, EBWOP will take effect. This means you must post again with the correct fixes.
3. Directly quoting or providing proof in any way of any PM sent by the host will result in an instant modkill and referral to the FGO.
4. You are not allowed to directly quote any PM sent by another player, unless you are quoting it to a fellow mafia member confirmed by the host.
5. You are not allowed to request to be modkilled in the thread. If you PM the host requesting to be modkilled, the host must find a substitute or modkill you at the end of the phase.
6. All players' actions should be primarily motivated by winning the game. Throwing the game or outing your teammates for no strategic value is not allowed.
7. The host has the final say in any dispute. Do not impersonate the host.
8. Any flaming/trolling will not be tolerated.
9. Players' actions should be motivated by this game's events solely. You may look at past mafias to determine behaviors for better reads, but keep personal affairs out of the game.
10. Anything said within the context of the game, including promises, bets, etc, stays within the game. Players can lie, deceive, and manipulate, (but not cheat) in any way they like. Slander within the context of the game is usually not meant as a personal offense.
11. Follow all site rules. Play to your win condition but above all play to have fun. Do not ruin the game for others.

Breaking any of the above rules may result in a modkill as determined by the host, or a ban from future mafias or forum games in general as determined by the Forum Game Organizer. (Yes I'm creating that title for myself)

Once signups are over, I will send a PM to each player telling them their role in the game. This PM will have all you need to know, don't worry. And don't reveal the role information to anyone outside the game!

In this game, the Synthetic Solvers are the civilians and the Bashers are the mafia. Every day phase, the forum votes to decide which person is lynched - their copies are burned and their compasses are thrown into the sea. And every night, the bashers creep around. When they find a victim, they show him the horrendous calculations and overpower his mind - making it unfit for holding any geometric thought for years.
The Bashers want to overpower the synthetic solvers and establish a reign of bash on the forums. The synthetic solvers must lynch all the Bashers before it is too late.

Since the roles are changed a lot in this game, we won't be having the day lynch by a majority. Thus day phase will NOT end early. At the end of the day, the person with the most votes is lynched.

The possible roles you may receive (more will be added if we have more players):

$\text{Figure Scout}$ - Synthetic Solver

Oh look, that arbitrary cevian forms a cyclic quad with the mixtillinear and excircle touchpoints!

Every night, you may target a person. At the end of the night phase, learn if that person is a Basher or not.

$\text{Angle Chaser}$ - Synthetic Solver

So we have $\angle PDC = \angle ADC = \angle ACB$, and... uh.... uhhhh..... I'm stuck :(

When the voting totals are counted at the end of day phase, you have $-1$ vote total on you.

$\text{Projective Priest}$ - Synthetic Solver

Clearly $(A,G;D,H) = (A,C;X,N) = -1. Then by Desargues and Brianchon we are done :mrgreen:

Every night, you may target a person. At the end of the night phase, you learn who targeted that person and whom they targeted.

$\text{Geo Hater}$ - Synthetic Solver

It takes me 4 hours to do a G2$\dots$

You are immune to all targetted actions during the night phase, except for the basher's nightkill and BashBaba's role (which may negate this ability for others).

$\text{Gonju}$ - Synthetic Solver

Let $\mathcal{K}$ be the circum-conic of $\triangle ABC$ passing through its Brocard points $\Omega_1$ and $\Omega_2$ and let $X$ be the 4th intersection of $\mathcal{K}$ and the circumcircle $\odot(ABC).$

During the day phase, your vote counts twice/has double power. (No one understands your awesome solutions fully, but they respect your words nonetheless)

$\text{Telv Cohl}$ - Synthetic Solver

[Generalization of Mixtilinear Incircle]

Every night, you may target a person. That person may not die during that night phase (they are soothed by awesome geometry solutions).

$\text{darij grinberg}$ - Synthetic Solver

Lemma 1: In triangle $\triangle ABC$, if $AB=AC$ then $\angle ABC = \angle ACB$

In any phase, you may target a player and show them a synthetic solution which starts from Euclid's axioms. Thus kills BOTH your target and yourself at the end of the phase.

$\text{Determinant Detector}$ - Basher

I once proved the existence of the Nine point circle... using Cartesian Coordinates!

Every night, you may target a person. At the end of the night phase, learn their role.

$\text{BashBaba}$ - Basher

So what if it's a G6? Conway Notation and strong EFFT kills it.

Every night, you may target person. Their role does not work for this night phase only.

The game will be played by discussing in this thread. During the day phase, you may post in this thread and talk about whatever you want, and try to hunt out who may be Mafia. Please don't discuss outside the thread, as then people might be left out of the conversation. Once you're ready to vote on someone, you can do so in the following format:

Code: Select all

[b]VOTE: (username)[/b]
Please use the proper forum username so that people are not confused. I will try to keep up an official vote list updated regularly.

If there is a tie at the end of the day phase, the votes are resolved in this order (The person who was voted on by the earliest role in this list is lynched): Bashbaba > Determinant Detector > darij grinberg > Telv Cohl > Gonju > Geo Hater > Projective Priest > Angle Chaser > Figure Scout

48 hours after the beginning of the day phase, it will end and the person with most votes will be lynched. That will begin the night phase.

During the night phase, you may NOT post in this thread. Mafia, and people with activated roles, may send me their actions through PM.

Role order: BashBaba > Geo Hater > Telv Cohl > Darij Grinberg > Nightkill > Determinant Detector > Figure Scoper > Projective Priest

Ask me if you're confused about anything!

Some final things to note:
[*]Don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what I'm here for.
[*]An active game is a fun game. Be active and post as much as you can and interact with the other players.[/b]
[*]Don't be afraid to make mistakes! It's perfectly okay and is in fact expected. Making mistakes is the best way to learn and rapidly improve at forum mafia.
[*]Mafia can sometimes be a bit heated and you might feel attacked. This is a natural part of the game. As long as you confine your attacks to someone's PLAY and not to the person at the keyboard, you are within the bounds. [*]If you find yourself frustrated, it's not only acceptable but I would argue it's a great idea to get up and go do something else and come back calm.
[*]Mislynches are probably going to happen. Perfect games are rare. Don't be afraid to follow your convictions, and don't be discouraged if the results aren't perfect.
Sign up by posting in this thread! The game will begin once we have 9 people signed up on a first come first served basis, so sign up soon!

*If you are still interested after 9 people have signed up, post here/PM me and I'll keep you as a substitute. If initial interest is very high, we may have a game with more than 9 players. Also, PM me if you're interested in being a spectator for the game (then you'll get to know who has which role).

ahmedittihad

Re: BDMO Forum Mafia #2

Unread post by ahmedittihad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Zawadx wrote:
This time, EVERYONE will get a special power role (no vanillas). Hopefully this will result in some fun for everyone!

"Everyone's super is another way to say no one is."

BTW, I'm playing.
Last edited by ahmedittihad on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Raiyan Jamil

Unread post by Raiyan Jamil » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Count me in :D
A smile is the best way to get through a tough situation, even if it's a fake smile.

dshasan

Unread post by dshasan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:04 pm

ok. I'm in :)
The study of mathematics, like the Nile, begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence.

- Charles Caleb Colton

Epshita32

Unread post by Epshita32 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Oka, I am in too.

Ananya Promi

Unread post by Ananya Promi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am

I am also in

TashkiManda

Unread post by TashkiManda » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am

1. ahmedittihad
2. Raiyan Jamil
3. dshasan
4. Epshita32
5. Ananya Promi
6. TashkiManda

Next user copy paste this and add your name at the end.

nahin munkar

Unread post by nahin munkar » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 pm

1. ahmedittihad
2. Raiyan Jamil
3. dshasan
4. Epshita32
5. Ananya Promi
6. TashkiManda
7. nahinmunkar
# Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders. ~ Carl Friedrich Gauss

Zawadx

Unread post by Zawadx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 pm

BDMO Forum Mafia #2 - Revenge of the Bashers

Once upon a time, the innocent people of BDMO Forum did geometry using only synthetic techniques. Yes, sometimes they'd do some dushtu stuff and add in a page of trig or long-winded length chasing, but it was harmless fun. The great priests of the land, those blessed with the gift of projective, maintained law and order throughout the land. The children diligently carried out their angle chasing, hoping to one day match the power of one of the Legends of AoPS.

But within this prosperity the seed of something horrible was growing. Then, one day it all broke loose. Complex numbers and barycentric coordinates reigned in the once hallowed sanctuaries of Geometry, and rumors where heard of Cartesian monsters lurking in the villages. The people of the forum realized that this was the work of one of them, and thus began the most important mission in the lifetime of the forum: the hunt for the bashers.

In this game, the Synthetic Solvers are the civilians and the Bashers are the mafia. Every day phase, the forum votes to decide which person is lynched - their copies are burned and their compasses are thrown into the sea. And every night, the bashers creep around. When they find a victim, they show him the horrendous calculations and overpower his mind - making it unfit for holding any geometric thought for years.
The Bashers want to overpower the synthetic solvers and establish a reign of bash on the forums. The synthetic solvers must lynch all the Bashers before it is too late.

Since the roles are changed a lot in this game, we won't be having the day lynch by a majority. Thus day phase will NOT end early. At the end of the day, the person with the most votes is lynched.

The possible roles you may receive (more will be added if we have more players):

$\text{Figure Scout}$ - Synthetic Solver

Oh look, that arbitrary cevian forms a cyclic quad with the mixtillinear and excircle touchpoints!

Every night, you may target a person. At the end of the night phase, learn if that person is a Basher or not.

$\text{Angle Chaser}$ - Synthetic Solver

So we have $\angle PDC = \angle ADC = \angle ACB$, and... uh.... uhhhh..... I'm stuck :(

When the voting totals are counted at the end of day phase, you have $-1$ vote total on you.

$\text{Projective Priest}$ - Synthetic Solver

Clearly $(A,G;D,H) = (A,C;X,N) = -1. Then by Desargues and Brianchon we are done :mrgreen:

Every night, you may target a person. At the end of the night phase, you learn who targeted that person and whom they targeted.

$\text{Geo Hater}$ - Synthetic Solver

It takes me 4 hours to do a G2$\dots$

You are immune to all targetted actions during the night phase, except for the basher's nightkill.

$\text{Gonju}$ - Synthetic Solver

Let $\mathcal{K}$ be the circum-conic of $\triangle ABC$ passing through its Brocard points $\Omega_1$ and $\Omega_2$ and let $X$ be the 4th intersection of $\mathcal{K}$ and the circumcircle $\odot(ABC).$

During the day phase, your vote counts twice/has double power. (No one understands your awesome solutions fully, but they respect your words nonetheless)

$\text{Telv Cohl}$ - Synthetic Solver

[Generalization of Mixtilinear Incircle]

Every night, you may target a person. That person may not die during that night phase (they are soothed by awesome geometry solutions).

$\text{darij grinberg}$ - Synthetic Solver

Lemma 1: In triangle $\triangle ABC$, if $AB=AC$ then $\angle ABC = \angle ACB$

In any phase, you may target a player and show them a synthetic solution which starts from Euclid's axioms. Thus kills BOTH your target and yourself at the end of the phase.

$\text{Exercise Solver}$ - Basher

I once proved the existence of the Nine point circle... using Cartesian Coordinates!

Every night, you may target a person. At the end of the night phase, learn their role.

$\text{BashBaba}$ - Basher

So what if it's a G6? Conway Notation and strong EFFT kills it.

Every night, you may target person. Their role does not work for this night phase only.

Feel free to ask questions! Hopefully this will get us more signups :D

Epshita32

Unread post by Epshita32 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Can you please elaborate the role of the projective preist?