Chittagong 2012 Higher secondary

Forum rules
Please don't post problems (by starting a topic) in the "X: Solved" forums. Those forums are only for showcasing the problems for the convenience of the users. You can always post the problems in the main Divisional Math Olympiad forum. Later we shall move that topic with proper formatting, and post in the resource section.
Neblina
Chittagong 2012 Higher secondary

Unread post by Neblina » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Consider a series with $a_1$=2012 and $a_n$= ${\frac{n}{a_{n-1}}}$.$a_1 $x$ a_2$x$ a_3x......$x$ a_{20}$=$2^{x}$x$ y!$.Find the value of x+y.
I got x=y= 10. I am confused. x and y are different letters, can they have same value? :?

SANZEED

Re: Chittagong 2012 Higher secondary

Unread post by SANZEED » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Neblina wrote:Consider a series with $a_1$=2012 and $a_n$= ${\frac{n}{a_{n-1}}}$.$a_1 $x$ a_2$x$ a_3x......$x$ a_{20}$=$2^{x}$x$ y!$.Find the value of x+y.
I got x=y= 10. I am confused. x and y are different letters, can they have same value? :?
Being different letters is not enough to prevent $x,y$ to different. Read the question again. Is their any restriction telling that $x,y$ can't be the same? :|
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

Neblina

Re: Chittagong 2012 Higher secondary

Unread post by Neblina » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Awwww...actually i was not really sure about the fact that "Being different letters is not enough to prevent xy to be same"( i think that's what you meant to say) Thanks for clearing up my confusion.