Notice from Avik Roy

Latest News, Announcements, and Forum Rules
nayel
Notice from Avik Roy

Unread post by nayel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:44 pm

This is a notice from Avik Roy: if anyone copies a solution/idea of a solution from somewhere else and posts it in this forum, he or she must mention the source.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

Tahmid Hasan

Re: Notice from Avik Roy

Unread post by Tahmid Hasan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Sometimes I post the same solution in AOPS and here.I hope that won't be considered copying. :?
বড় ভালবাসি তোমায়,মা

nayel

Unread post by nayel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 pm

No that's not copying.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

SANZEED

Unread post by SANZEED » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:52 am

And what if just the similarity between ideas appears? For an example: I solved problem $1$ of $1993$ using Eisenstein's criterion. But later I found that it was like the alternative solution given in IMO compendium. Link of this problem: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2165
$\color{blue}{\textit{To}} \color{red}{\textit{ problems }} \color{blue}{\textit{I am encountering with-}} \color{green}{\textit{AVADA KEDAVRA!}}$

Masum

Unread post by Masum » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 am

To both of you, I don't get what you are meaning by copying solutions or same ideas. But to make you clear, tell me how many distinct solutions are there for a particular problem? At most 20 or 30, or may be something larger. But when that same problem is solved by at least a hundred people, what can you say? Mustn't the ideas intersect? That is never copying. So, if you are clear to yourself, whatever it looks like, don't care. Otherwise, I don't know what to say. Certainly you can't copy solutions directly, since there are LaTeX issues and some other.
One one thing is neutral in the universe, that is $0$.

Masum

Unread post by Masum » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 am

Tahmid Hasan wrote:Sometimes I post the same solution in AOPS and here.I hope that won't be considered copying. :?
That happens to me the most I think(because most of the problems posted here were solved and may be posted as well by me in AoPS previously). So, that depends on how you are doing.
One one thing is neutral in the universe, that is $0$.

nafistiham

Unread post by nafistiham » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:08 am

It is all about self respect . I don't think a person would never just copy a solution and post it here just saying, "I have done this all by myself ." If someone does that, then that is his mentality problem, which is not worth discussing anywhere else.
\[\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}e^{\frac{2 \pi i k}{n}}=0\]
Using $L^AT_EX$ and following the rules of the forum are very easy but really important, too.Please co-operate.
Introduction:
Nafis Tiham
CSE Dept. SUST -HSC 14'
http://www.facebook.com/nafistiham
nafistiham@gmail

nayel

Unread post by nayel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 pm

I totally agree, and that's why I believe nobody simply copies a solution from somewhere. And that's why this notice isn't from me.