Learning Programming for Beginners

Discuss Computer Science and Programming related problems

Moderators:Labib, bristy1588

rakeen
Learning Programming for Beginners

Unread post by rakeen » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:18 am

Just wanted some advice which language should i learn as I dont know nothing about programming! I often hear that C is the best. And what should I know before starting that? I know a little bit VB language.
r@k€€/|/

Shifat

Re: Learning Programming for Beginners

Unread post by Shifat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:01 am

I personally sugegst that all startars sholld learn Qbasic first-It is not only convenient but also solves the purpose in an understandable method......Since I am a beginner I am relying on it, now, Visual basic is rather high standerds,according to me.....

ridowan007

Unread post by ridowan007 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 pm

@Shifat Though Qbasic is also my first language(for computer science in HSC) but I must say QBasic and also any Basic is just garbage, pure garbage. Don't learn it as your first language or even learn it. Qbasic taught some really bad programming habits which becomes pain after. If you are learning it for any other reason then classes, drop it just now.

@rankeen If you want to participate in Olympiad of Informatics, learning C++ is better which covers also basic C. But if you want to just learn how to program, learn my vote for python. Python is easy to learn, modern language and you can do wide amount of things easily with python. For learning C++/python you can easily get wide amount of resources on web by googleing.

Shifat

Unread post by Shifat » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:38 pm

I have never heard about python. thanks for the new one, I will try it from now, but qbasic seemed rather easy to get for beginners, I mean C language and its commads and symbols can be a bit hard to get at first glance, but in qb it gets very easy, well I doubt Visual basic being a garbage...:?:

*Mahi*

Unread post by *Mahi* » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:50 pm

I think python is best for newcomers, and C++ for those who need to be pro in programming. Qbasic is just out of use nowadays, so it should be best to pick one of these two.
Please read Forum Guide and Rules before you post.

Use $L^AT_EX$, It makes our work a lot easier!

Nur Muhammad Shafiullah | Mahi

Corei13

Unread post by Corei13 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 pm

All Basic stuffs are pure shit! As Ridowan said, these make some bad habits. Learn C++ instead, and believe me you don't have to learn C in order to learn C++, though I love C!

Python is awesome!
ধনঞ্জয় বিশ্বাস

Corei13

Unread post by Corei13 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:03 pm

And I think the best way to learn programming is to do programming. Just open your IDE start to write program. Having problem ? ask Google!

Note: All I said are about contest programming. But if you want to know about software engineering or web developing or something like that, I don't know anything :(
ধনঞ্জয় বিশ্বাস

novice

Unread post by novice » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:21 am

I would support that all the basic stuff is just crap. If its Informatics Olympiads you are preparing for,then I would not recommend Python. Learn C/C++ or Pascal. If you finally start algorithmic problem solving ,you will see that which language you use or how many languages you know barely matter.

Also for contest programming,you have to learn very very little C++ :) To be more specific,learn C upto Structures and then learn STL from C++ and you are done!

Pascal is pretty obsolete too but the person who is becoming 1st in IOI for the last few years did it using Pascal!

rakeen

Unread post by rakeen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:42 am

found another useful one: cpbook.subeen.com
r@k€€/|/

ridowan007

Unread post by ridowan007 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:19 pm

For learning python(or may be just say simply programming) a good(and funny and interesting) site is http://hukush-pakush.appspot.com/